Monday, March 14, 2011

GOOD NEWS


Dear Steven,


Uncle say we come back to America soon. He say maybe we stay for long time. Do Jon Jon learn to throw spear yet? I hunt my first warthog with Uncle now. He give me lesson with rifle. We shoot target every day. Then Uncle tell me to sit by tree and shoot when warthog come. I miss first one, but Uncle say we wait for number two. When it come, I make sure I no miss. Uncle say I natural. But it much work to cut meat from big animal. Men with Uncle no touch pig because they say it no clean. I think it taste much good. I want to bring some to you and Jon Jon. Uncle say it not possible. I am happy to come back to America. I am sad to go from the home of my father.


The boy re-read the first sentence. Adunya was coming home. With new stories about Africa, about hunting, about beasts the boy had never even read about. And he could show Adunya the flock of turkeys he discovered in the breaks. And Adunya could see that Jon Jon was practicing with the spear every day. And the boy wanted to show him the new fishing hole where he hooked into a big catfish. And he wanted to show him his new shotgun.


He read through the letter again. No mention of when they’d be coming. He’d have to ask his father.

The boy pumped his fist in the air and ran to find his younger brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment